Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 22, 2011

How to make a dress from an old sweater or shirt!


Ok so I did laundry and put a sweater shirt I have just got...only wore once...in the dryer..it was line dry only...and it fell apart in places...I was MAD!!!! So I decided to make something for my little girls! it started out for the baby but ended up being big enough for the 3 year old lol. AND I am about to teach you how!!!! I am basing this on your knowledge of making a basic dress!

OK! STEP ONE!!! lay out the sweater/shirt and cut the shape of your dress making spots where you will attach the sleaves again later!
Now STEP 2 I went and trimed my sleeves a bit smaller for a child and sewed them back up!

STEP 3 Go ahead and get the pieces you cut off at the bottom to shorten (or from another shirt your choice)I folded them both in half like sides together and sewed each one together and ONE end together.

 See one end is sewn together!
STEP 4! Flip the strips right side out!
Step 5 slip the pieces INSIDE the dress pieces that are LIKE SIDES TOGETHER and pull through where you want them attached. I personally found it easier to sew my sides all the way together and left a small section for them to pull through!

Trim the excess
trim the excess
Step 6! attach sleeves (dress is still right sides together!) I also had to trim my collar up to make it
child size as it was a scoop kneck! AND I added a fabric flower to fancy it up! your done!



No comments:

Post a Comment